Every healthcare professional should have professional liability insurance
Available exclusively to members of the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists, CAMRT’s Professional Liability Insurance (PLI) is first-class personal insurance coverage designed specifically for MRTs. CAMRT has provided MRTs with professional liability insurance for over 25 years and currently over 10,000 MRTs in Canada are enjoying the peace of mind that our PLI program offers.
PLI is available with our Full Practice and Temporary Practice Memberships. Become a member today to obtain tangible benefits, including the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you are completely protected against professional liability.
Highlights of CAMRT’s PLI Policy:
- Coverage that meets and exceeds requirements set by provincial regulatory bodies
- Regulatory legal defense (disciplinary) coverage
- Criminal defense reimbursement
- It’s personal PLI – meaning it’s yours and yours alone and follows you wherever you work in Canada
- FREE legal advice
- Includes policy extensions such as:
- Loss of earnings coverage
- Coroner’s hearing expenses
- Sexual abuse therapy & counselling fund
- Retirement coverage
Why You Need Professional Liability Insurance – To Protect Yourself
The reason healthcare professionals need professional liability insurance coverage is quite simple. In our legal system if you are alleged to have done or failed to do anything that is a breach of the standard of care in our profession, and that breach causes damage, someone is likely to sue you for damages. If you are sued, whether you were negligent or not, you will need legal defense. This is one of the expenses a professional liability insurance policy covers. Many who ignore this necessity have no idea of how expensive legal defense can be.
A professional liability claim can be devastating financially for the MRT without adequate insurance to obtain legal counsel. Even a frivolous allegation can result in crippling defense costs, and such allegations are on the rise. The inability to afford legal counsel to defend your professional reputation or accreditation could lead to a loss of employment. CAMRT’s Professional Liability Insurance Program protects in the event of a claim.
Attention Alberta, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and Saskatchewan MRTs
All licensed medical radiation technologists in the provinces of Alberta, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and Saskatchewan are required to have PLI coverage as specified by the regulatory college in that province. The comprehensive PLI coverage included with a CAMRT membership meets or exceeds all of the minimum requirements for PLI set by the regulatory bodies in these provinces.
Not all Policies are the Same!
Workplaces and unions may offer insurance, BUT not all policies are the same. Other policies may leave you vulnerable in the case of a claim. CAMRT membership has you covered.
If your employer states they provide you with PLI, make sure to fully investigate the extent of the coverage.
Things to consider:
- Are you covered for a hearing with your regulatory body or your provincial organization? The majority of claims are made through the provincial regulatory bodies and many insurance programs do not include coverage with regulatory bodies.
- Are you covered for legal defense insurance for court cases filed under the Criminal Code?
- Will your employer insurance still cover you if you are fired you over an incident? Likely not.
- Is your employer insurance a shared pool of coverage? If there is a large claim that involves multiple people in your hospital, there may not be enough money to cover everyone named in the claim, and that could leave you unprotected.
With the CAMRT PLI policy, you do not have to worry about any of the above. Our policy covers all of this and more.
Download this comparison chart to compare our policy against others.Comparison Chart
Our Professional Liability Insurance is automatically included as part of a Full Practice or Temporary Practice membership with the CAMRT. Learn more about CAMRT memberships.
Attention Diagnostic Medical Sonographers:
If you are a CAMRT-certified medical radiation technologist practicing diagnostic medical sonography, the CAMRT’s PLI policy will provide you with coverage for your practice of sonography provided you meet all the eligibility requirements for CAMRT membership.