As a CAMRT member, this is your professional association. Membership gives you a voice and empowers you to participate in processes that determine the future of your profession – your future. Assert your influence by joining today and get the advantage of the many benefits that come as a result!
Benefits of CAMRT Membership
One of the CAMRT’s most important roles is as the national certifying agency that provides the credential for entry-to-practice for MRTs in Canada. Employers and patients can feel confident that, regardless of where the MRT trained, they have the knowledge, skills and judgment required to deliver excellent patient care.
As an association that is strong in numbers – over 12,000 members – the CAMRT and your provincial organization can advocate effectively on your behalf to advance and evolve the profession, and to strengthen recognition of the major role medical radiation technologists play as part of the healthcare team. This is more important today than ever, with critical issues such as isotope supply shortages and health human resource strategies under review by government. CAMRT and your provincial organization are at the table with Health Canada and other healthcare organizations as these important topics are addressed. Our advocacy on your behalf means that the voice of your profession is heard by decision makers.
Every healthcare professional should have professional liability insurance. Together with your provincial organization, the CAMRT provides all Full, Limited and Temporary Practice members with extensive protection through our professional liability insurance policy (PLI) and policy extensions, such as criminal defense costs reimbursement coverage, legal expense coverage, coroner’s hearings coverage and witness expenses coverage. If your employer states they provide you with PLI, make sure to fully investigate the extent of coverage. Ask if you are also covered for a hearing with your regulatory body or your provincial organization and for legal defense insurance for court cases filed under the Criminal Code. The CAMRT PLI policy covers all of this and more. A complete copy of the policy is available by visiting the Members Area of the website.
It is important to note that coverage is on a “claims-made” basis, which means that you must have coverage at the time a claim is made against you, regardless of when the “incident” took place. More information on the insurance coverage available through CAMRT membership is available by clicking here.
As a CAMRT member, you have access to expert resources through both the association’s staff and volunteer leaders. Whether you need someone to guide you through your professional development requirements or to discuss scope of practice or standards, or with any other questions, we’re there for you – both at the CAMRT and provincially. Members can reach the CAMRT between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm EST through our toll-free telephone number from anywhere within Canada (1-800-463-9729).
- The Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences (JMIRS) and Radiography. The JMIRS is the official professional journal of the CAMRT. Radiography is the official professional journal of the UK-based Society of Radiographers (SoR). CAMRT members receive a free subscription to the JMIRS (published quarterly) and now, through a reciprocal journal exchange arranged with the SoR, members also receive complimentary access to Radiography (also published quarterly) – a value of $165 annually!
- CAMRT News A professional and informative newsletter produced and distributed five times annually to our members, CAMRT News delivers information regarding opportunities and activities related to the profession and the association. It is available to members electronically or in hard copy.
- Career ads in CAMRT News and the CAMRT Job Bank Looking for a job or to advance your current career? Employers looking to recruit MRTs in any of the disciplines are increasingly turning to the CAMRT to advertise in our newsletter and on-line through our job bank. The Job Bank is available to members only through a restricted members-only section of the CAMRT website.
- Listservs The CAMRT has created several listservs for members only whereby you can communicate with other members, asking questions and getting answers, sharing resources, or seeking advice or solutions to problems. We currently offer seven listservs for use by the membership in the following areas of interest: Leadership, Educators, Mammographers, Interventional Radiographers, Radiation Therapy, Research and Radiation Safety Officers.
- E-updates. The CAMRT keeps our members informed through e-mail updates regarding hot topics, such as the medical isotope shortage crisis, and other topics of relevance to the profession.
- Facebook. The CAMRT has created a Facebook page whereby you can communicate with other MRTS, ask questions, share pictures and stories, or seek advice or solutions to problems.
- Professional Development Courses. The CAMRT has developed an extensive range of continuing professional development (CPD) correspondence courses, which we offer at preferred rates to our members (eg. a full-length course is $350 for members vs. $700 for non-members). These include full-length courses, quick self-studies, specialty certificate programs, and the Fellowship Program. All CAMRT continuing professional development courses have been assigned category A credits, which can be used by members for credit to fulfill CE requirements established by a provincial association or regulatory body. They can also be used by members for credit towards ARRT license renewals.
- Annual General Conference. The CAMRT’s Annual General Conference has become a first-class educational experience for those who attend, as well as an excellent opportunity to network and reconnect with colleagues and friends. The evening social functions have received rave reviews as well – not to be missed! Conferences typically attract 400-500 delegates. CAMRT members are eligible to register for the Annual General Conference at a preferred rate
- Volunteer and Leadership Development Opportunities. As a member-driven association, the CAMRT operates through the work of many volunteer committees. Participation on these national committees provides excellent opportunities to develop critical thinking and leadership skills and the opportunity to influence the direction of the profession and the Association. Travel and associated expenses are covered by the CAMRT.
For more information on volunteer and leadership development opportunities with the CAMRT, click here.
Customized member affinity programs and preferred member-only rates are designed to save you money.
Your CAMRT membership includes preferred rates and opportunities for savings, such as discounted course fees for CAMRT and other association’s CPD courses, member-only registration rate for our annual general conference, a free subscription to the CAMRT’s Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences and the British Society of Radiographers professional journal.
You asked and we listened!
CAMRT is now pleased to announce a new member discount through TELUS! Get a customized mobility plan and a new smartphone to help you stay connected from anywhere. CAMRT members receive 30% discount on voice and data along with an up to $300 device subsidy on each new smartphone activated on your account. Please note that this member savings is not available in-store.
The CAMRT believes that your well-being is important, so we partnered with GoodLife Fitness to give you access to the benefits of exercise and healthy living. The CAMRT helps members maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle, this program offers you and your family close to $400 off the regular individual membership rate. Take advantage of this member privilege today!
Several of the provincial organizations offer discounts on products and services, such as scrubs, home and auto insurance, concert tickets, financial advice and group health insurance. Please visit your provincial organization’s website or contact them for more information on these available services.